The journey to a happier and healthier “good life” begins with one step. Walking is the single most powerful thing you can do for yourself. It’s also a great way to spend time with the people you care about … to connect, share your life and create memories. Getting started is simple. Just Step and Repeat.
We are excited to embark on our 5th year of promoting National Walk @ Lunch Day and hope to enlist your help in promoting this exciting initiative to chamber businesses! Last year over 60 businesses from around the region participated and we hope to exceed this in 2017.
Join us as we step and repeat on National Walk @ Lunch Day, April 26, 2017. Where do you go to walk? Step right out your worksite door.
It’s really just that simple. We are asking employees to get up and get moving over their lunch break, anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes.
Sitting is now considered the new smoking due to the number of negative effects it has on our health. A 30 minute walk, five days a week reduces the rate of people becoming diabetic by more than half. For men it can also decrease the risk of colon cancer by 50% and prostate cancer by two-thirds.
There is no charge to participate and organizations need not be a council member to participate. A promotional packet is provided to each participating business to make promotion easy!
Organizations that register on the Panhandle Worksite Wellness Council website at www.pphd.org/pwwc.html for National Walk @ Lunch Day will receive a $15 Subway® gift card and member companies will be entered into a drawing for a walking workstation or two sit-to-stand workstations ($1000 value) for employees to benefit from the effects of walking year round and throughout the work day.
Tips for planning a successful National Walk @ Lunch Day© event at your organization:
- Use your organization’s wellness committee to help plan/promote the walk.
- Identify a walking path around your facility. Google Maps will allow you to measure any distance on a map. Contact us to show you how to use this wonderful feature.
- Be considerate of all activity levels (beginner, immediate, advanced) and ensure safety to all participants by marking a path that would not place them in any danger.
- Consider offering incentives for employees like a light lunch, holding a contest, or giving random prizes like a wearable electronic measuring device (FitBit, Garmin, etc).
- Promote the walk to employees and around your facility (bulletin boards, paycheck stuffers, staff meetings, emails, etc.) using Panhandle Worksite Wellness Council promotional materials.
- Challenge other businesses in your community to participate.
- Consider ways to make walking throughout the work day easier through the adoption of a 15-minute break, flex time, or other organizational policy supports and walking meetings whenever possible. Be sure to contact the Panhandle Worksite Wellness Council for policy templates.
- Great ideas from previous walks:
- Panhandle Coop in Scottsbluff partnered with the Panhandle Humane Society and had employees take a dog for a walk!
- Gardner, Loutzenhiser, & Ryan PC in Chadron partnered with the Morning Marathon students so parents and kiddos could walk together!
- Banner County Schools in Harrisburg used the time to do a highway clean-up!
- Chadron Community Hospital set-up a photo booth station with fun props!
- Last but not least, HAVE FUN! Show your employees that being active doesn’t have to feel like a “chore.”
Thank you to the 55 Panhandle organizations that committed to walk in 2016! Please enjoy the compilation of all the photos we had posted to our Facebook page during the day! And a BIG congratulations to the winner of our walking workstation.....PREMA!